The University of Alabama’s involvement in nursing education dates to the mid-1900s. It was the first public institution for higher education in the state to recognize the vital need for a baccalaureate program to prepare graduates for the professional practice of nursing. An undergraduate program was established by legislative action in 1950. For almost two decades, this program resided on the Tuscaloosa campus. However, in 1969, the nursing program moved to the medical center in Birmingham. The void created by the school’s move escalated the impending nursing shortage in West Alabama and surrounding areas. The University of Alabama listened to the needs of the people and responded.
In 1975, a new baccalaureate program was officially established in Tuscaloosa at The University of Alabama in response to validated community need. Since The University has historically been referred to as the “Capstone” of learning in Alabama, the name was endearingly given to the newly established nursing program. The Capstone College of Nursing graduated its first class in 1978.
The Capstone College of Nursing has continued the University’s tradition of responding to the needs of its constituents. Since these first graduates, our student enrollment has continued to grow. The college has expanded its programs and constantly updates its curriculum to keep pace with advances in health care delivery. We offer an exceptional nursing education on the bachelors, masters and doctoral levels.