Nomination deadline for the 2023 Alabama Hall of Fame is December 1, 2022.
The Board of Visitors of the Capstone College of Nursing (CCN) established the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame in 2001. The Hall of Fame was created to pay tribute to nurses and others who through their work and accomplishments have brought honor and fame to the profession of nursing and the State of Alabama.
The Hall of Fame is governed by the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame Board comprised of members of CCN’s Board of Visitors. This body establishes the criteria for selecting inductees and the methods for determining eligibility for and election to the Hall of Fame. Nominations for induction into the Hall of Fame are submitted to a Selection Committee of the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame Board.
Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame inductees have had a significant positive influence on healthcare in the community and state through their nursing practice, educational leadership, entrepreneurship, civic involvement, philanthropy or humanitarianism. The candidate should have significant connections to the state of Alabama through his or her career or residency. Individuals may be considered posthumously.
Numerous fields have been represented in the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame. Those represented have included, but are not limited to:
- Nurses who provide(d) patient care at the bedside whether in hospitals, home health services, hospice, long-term care facilities, outpatient facilities, schools, mental health facilities, public health facilities, or military operations.
- Leaders in healthcare administration, nursing research, veteran’s affairs and clinical outpatient services.
- Nursing faculty and administrators of colleges and universities who advance(d) the practice of nursing and nursing education.
- Elected officials who advance(d) the practice of nursing and nursing education.
- Business leaders whose enterprises positively impact(ed) healthcare delivery and administration.
In addition to supportive materials, the following information is required for nomination of each nominee:
- Name of individual nominated for induction.
- Nominee’s place of residence.*
- Nominee’s telephone number.*
*or living family member
- Nominee’s field or position in or for nursing.
- Nominee’s distinctive work and/or accomplishments and their impact on nursing care and/or the profession of nursing.
- The individual or organization presenting this nomination.
- Signature, date, address, telephone of the nominator.
- Two letters of support.
Please fill out the online Inductee Nomination Form available here. If you would prefer to mail in your nomination, please email Rosemary Kirby (email@example.com) to request a PDF version of the form. When possible, supporting material should also be included, such as biographical sketches, resume, articles, and/or other printed reference materials. The deadline for submitting nominations for the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame Class of 2023 is December 1, 2022.
The selection of honorees shall be by ballot of the Hall of Fame Selection Committee and results submitted to all members of the Alabama Nursing Hall of Fame Board. The selection committee carefully reviews each nomination. The number of nominations may vary from year to year. All selected inductees will be honored at a black-tie induction ceremony and dinner held in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Candidate nomination materials should be forwarded to:
Rosemary Russell Kirby
The University of Alabama
Capstone College of Nursing
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0358
– or –
Fax: (205) 348-5559
For more information, or if you have any questions, please call (205) 348-7429.